The Three Courthouses
Inaugurated in 1856, the old courthouse subscribed to the very sober neo-classic tradition typical of the first half of the 19th century. The 1925 version (Ernest-Cormier building) featured a return to classic simplicity with an imposing colonnade. From 1925 until the 1970s, the old courthouse handled civil issues while the new one (1, Notre-Dame Street) dealt with criminal matters. The modern courthouse at 1 Notre-Dame East now handles all cases while the Ernest-Cormier building houses the Québec Court of Appeal.