Mount Royal, the natural heart of the city
Mount Royal is our backyard, an urban mountain and sprawling park that's our solace and our inspiration. This gentle giant in the city offers a relaxing escape for nature lovers, sports enthusiasts, families and anyone who just wants to take a breather. Go all the way to the top for stunning views of the city and countryside beyond from the belvedere viewpoint.
Get to know this gentle giant
Spring, summer, fall and winter, Mount Royal offers you an array of activities and a great escape from the city’s hustle and bustle. Here are a few ideas on how to explore it.
- Climb the 256-step staircase to the top for a cardio workout, followed by captivating views.
- Soak in the breathtaking foliage of bright reds, yellows and oranges on a fall walk.
- Train your eyes on the trees or watch the feeders: the mountain is home to an array of bird species.
- Pack a picnic lunch in warmer weather and join the happy many eating al fresco.
- Go sliding, skating, tubing, snowshoeing or cross-country skiing on its snowy hills.
- Walk to the very top to see the iconic and historic cross (first erected in 1643!).