Coupe Rogers welcomes World’s Top Male Tennis Players
Coupe Rogers defending champion Novak Djokovic returns to Montréal to defend his title when the best male tennis players in the world come to town for the Coupe Rogers. The ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event will be held at Montréal’s Uniprix Stadium from August 4 to 13, and is widely-considered by the tennis world to be one of the best-run tournaments on the tour.
World No. 1 Andy Murray and 10-time French Open champion Rafael Nadal headline the entry list in Montréal, where all of the Top 44 men will be in contention for over US $3 million in prize money.
Since 2004, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic and Roger Federer have held a near-monopoly on the Coupe Rogers men’s title, with only the 2014 tournament (Jo-Wilfried Tsonga) won by another player. All five competitors will be back in Montréal this year to try to win another Canadian championship, a tournament which began in 1881. Only Wimbledon and the US Open have longer histories than this major Canadian stop.
Other players competing this year include world No. 3 Stan Wawrinka, and young guns Dominic Thiem and Alexander Zverev.
“We have another amazing player field this year and our fans are in for a real treat with the current leaders of men’s tennis set to take on the next generation,” says Montréal tournament director Eugene Lapierre.
Four Canadians have been confirmed so far for the main draw. Milos Raonic is the lone Canuck to earn a direct entry into the tournament thanks to his No. 6 world ranking. The 2013 Coupe Rogers finalist, Raonic is the highest-ranked singles player in Canadian history and is a strong contender.
The men’s event has also awarded two wild cards to Vasek Pospisil, and Denis Shapovalov. Pospisil, a former Coupe Rogers semifinalist, is Canada’s second-ranked male player at world No. 75.
Eighteen-year-old Shapovalov, currently ranked No. 164, will make his second appearance at the tournament. Shapovalov will play his first-round match during the August 8 afternoon session.
A La Carte & Ready-to-Eat
The Coupe Rogers offers new dining options this year. After her resounding success last year, Marie-Fleur St-Pierre, co-owner and chef of renowned Montreal restaurants Mesón and Tapeo, returns as the Montréal tournament’s official chef.
In addition to her menu in the Club Platine, St-Pierre in 2017 will also “design a special lunch-box chosen from as assortment of ready-to-eat dishes, which will be offered to the general public,” says Lapierre.
Family Weekend Tennis, Hockey and Baseball
There will be plenty of other activities to entertain tennis fans:
Organized in partnership with Tennis Québec and Tennis Montréal, the winners of the Mini Coupe Rogers tournament for players aged five to 12 will receive their medals in a ceremony on Centre Court.
The ever-popular Ball Hockey Challenge returns this year, pitting ATP tennis players against NHL hockey stars Alex Burrows, Jonathan Huberdeau and Antoine Roussel on August 5, while two teams of entertainment celebrities will play friendly tennis matches on August 6.
The Family Weekend (August 4 to 6) will also present the friendly “Place au Baseball” match pitting former Montreal Expos Claude Raymond, Denis Boucher and Derek Aucoin against ATP players, in Uniprix Stadium, which in its previous incarnation was Jarry Park, home of the fabled Montreal Expos baseball club.
Free Public Transport and Free Family Weekend Admission
The Family Weekend runs from August 4-6. Fans will have the chance to watch qualifying matches as well as attend the practice sessions of some of the top players in the world, such as Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Milos Raonic.
Tennis Canada will give away about 3,000 tickets for Centre Court per day on Family Weekend, available at the door the day-of only, first-come, first-serve.
Also, public transport for Coupe Rogers ticket holders is free on the date of your session. Click here for info.
The Coupe Rogers presented by National Bank runs August 4 to 13. For tickets and more information, visit couperogers.com.
Richard Burnett, blogger
Richard “Bugs” Burnett is a Canadian freelance writer, editor, journalist, blogger and columnist for alt-weeklies, mainstream and LGBTQ publications. Bugs also knows Montréal like a drag queen knows a cosmetics counter.
To see the list of our regular contributors, click here.