Live large waterside in the Quartiers du Canal
The Quartiers du Canal district is a grouping of three storied Montréal neighbourhoods: Griffintown, Little Burgundy and Saint-Henri. Primarily located along the historic Lachine Canal, it's fast becoming a hub for food, drink and outdoor fun. The once industrial urban neighbourhood in Montréal's southwest area has transformed into one of the city's trendiest neighbourhoods, at once youth-oriented and family-friendly, a place for late-night dinner and drinks as much as it is for sun-dappled afternoon bike rides along the canal.
The Canal’s back in a big way
Brick smokestacks and revamped warehouses recall the city’s industrial past in the canal district, which is fast becoming a hub for food, drink and outdoor fun. Walk, jog and bike along the sides of the Lachine Canal or kayak, canoe and electric boat on the waters of the canal itself – there are many ways for the motion-oriented to enjoy this area. Sample the creative cuisine at one of Notre-Dame Street’s plethora of super-hip upstart eateries, and find something utterly unique at one of the many artisanal food shops, antique stores, galleries and designer boutiques. Stroll through the iconic Atwater Market to make your visit complete.
Fresh air, fabulous food and unique shopping
The Quartiers du Canal is popular with locals for the fresh air activities, the amazing flavours at the Atwater market and for the hottest new restaurants, bars and boutiques popping up in this up-and-coming hood. Here are just a few experiences to try.
- Join the neighbourhood peeps for a friendly evening in the Burgundy Lion pub
- Peruse and purchase one-of-a-kind, Québec-made food products at the historic Atwater Market
- Pilot an electric boat along a lengthy stretch of the Lachine Canal
- Take a leisurely hike along the canal’s winding and picturesque pathways
- Climb the Dendrites artwork and appreciate your own views of the city
- Shop on the Griffintown, Petite-Bourgogne and Saint-Henri Streets
- Explore the universe of blown glass at Espace VERRE
- Catch a wave with KSF
- Taste of one of the city’s hottest eateries