Go for urban greatness in downtown Montréal
Montréal’s compact downtown core manages to deftly mix business district with high-fashion shopping, gourmet food with the latest entertainment. On any given day any time of the year, deals are struck over a steak lunch, someone's found that perfect leather jacket and festivals bring music to the streets.
Eat, drink, shop and be merry
Centre Ville — literally “city centre” in French — is Montréal’s commercial core. The vibe, however, is no stuffy business meeting. Instead, the downtown core is surprisingly crammed with creativity. The city’s most popular art museums are located here. Visitors will discover multi-storey murals etched onto the side of skyscrapers. Fashion is found not only in the boutiques but also on the people strutting the sidewalks. Centre Ville is also home to the city’s entertainment district, known as Quartier des spectacles. Here, annual events such as Jazz Fest and Just For Laughs have earned Montréal as the title of “Penultimate city of festivals.” This is the perfect place to begin your Montréal explorations.
Where to start exploring
Daytime, nighttime, anytime — Montréal’s downtown is one part sophistication and one part entertainment. For first-time visitors, here are some beloved activities.
- See the city from the top of Place Ville Marie
- Go on a shopping spree along Sainte-Catherine Street, the longest commercial street in Canada
- Discover an new artist at the MAC, the museum of contemporary art
- Sip cocktails on a patio on vivacious Crescent Street during F1 week
- Explore the city’s underground pedestrian network