Sanctuaire du Sacré Cœur et de Saint Padre Pio
The Sanctuaire du Sacré Cœur et de Saint Padre Pio was the largest sanctuary in the city until Saint Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal was constructed in the 1930s. Founded in 1896 by Marie Hébert de La Rousselière (1840-1924), a fervent Catholic of French origin, it was designated as a "Eucharistic pilgrimage site" by archbishop Paul Bruchési of Montréal in 1913.
Every year, thousands of pilgrims go to the sanctuary, which consists of a chapel, monastery, and vast woodland serving as the backdrop for the Way of the Cross, erected in 1897 by the Blessed Frédéric Janssoone. Guided tours take place during the summer.
The site of the Way of the Cross includes a stained glass window dedicated to St. Francis, a reproduction of the Grotto of Lourdes, the Scala Santa, a chapel-shaped building (built for the 50th anniversary), a Calvary, and tomb.
Daily, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed: Jan 1.
- Parking for Buses
- Free Parking
- Guided Tour
- Free admission
Montréal, QC H1A 2X9