Discover winter wonderlands in Montréal
Winter in Montréal defies all cold weather expectations as the city celebrates wintertime with an abundance of outdoor parties, high-tech light shows, Christmas markets and creative gourmet food. Warm up at Montréal's best restaurants, dance and play at jubilant winter festivals, sip a signature cocktail by the glow of a fireplace, stroll through fascinating art galleries and museums, shop for one-of-a-kind gifts at professional craft fairs, zip on a snowsuit and sled down the mountain with locals, go ice skating in Parc Lafontaine or next to the Saint-Lawrence River, or simply get cozy in hotels all decked out for the season.
Wonderful winter festivities for all
Montréal stays true to its entertaining, energetic and oh-so stylish nature even when temperatures drop well below zero. Outside in the snow or warm indoors, all manner of unique activities make the city an essential wintertime destination:
- Music, art, food and drink abound at one of the biggest winter festivals in the world, Montréal en Lumière, complete with outdoor ice slides, a Ferris wheel and illuminated art, plus citywide all-nighter event Nuit Blanche
- Try snow tubing, dog sledding, wintery games and more family-focused activities at multi-weekend event Fête des neiges in Parc Jean-Drapeau
- Put on your brightest parka and toque and dance in your winter boots to the beat of Igloofest, an outdoor electronic music event like no other
- Find one-of-a-kind locally designed clothing, jewellery, housewares, gifts and so much more at the city's best artisanal winter art and craft fairs
- Ice skate to music under the stars in the historic Old Port of Montréal
- Join the throngs of brave kids and adults alike in a true Montréal winter tradition: sledding down the Mountain (Mount-Royal) after a snow fall
- Watch the snowflakes fall gently to the ground as you sip a latté, tea or hot chocolate from a cozy café window.