Find the scene in the Plateau and Mile End
For many, the Plateau is quintessential Montréal. Spiral staircases, bagels, Arcade Fire – it all started here in this rich and vast neighbourhood north of downtown. Hip, trendy and artsy, the Plateau – especially its famed enclave of Mile End – is known as much for its residential quaintness as its festive nighttime antics. By day, kids play in the parks and friends debate politics in cafés; by night, restaurants and bars teem with people.
Feel the artsy vibe and hang with locals
Soak up the creative energy that flows through the Plateau’s cafés, bars, bookstores, restaurants and designer shops, which stand alongside former textile mills and churches turned into start-up incubators or condo buildings. Nerve center of Montréal’s trendsetting cultural scene, this neighbourhood is home to a unique and multicultural mix of bustling shopping strips and pretty residential side streets with colourful houses and spiral staircases. Find the heart of it in the hood’s northern quarter, Mile End, a hipster enclave where you’ll dig up carefully curated vintage shops, delicious bites and next-level lattes – no to mention authentic Montréal style bagels.
Live la vida Montréal
You’ll feel like a local in three seconds flat thanks to the laid-back vibe and welcoming spirit that reigns here. Whether it’s a shopping expedition down the Plateau’s Avenue Mont-Royal or a coffee date in Mile End, get a first-person sense of real life in La Belle Ville.
- Catch a live music show at Casa Del Popolo
- Feast on foie gras poutine at Au Pied de Cochon
- Bite into fresh bagels at Fairmount or St-Viateur Bagel
- Shop your heart out on Saint-Laurent Boulevard
- Try a bistro and refined cuisine at Chez Victoire
- Find unique homewares at Coeur d'artichaut
- Sip on a superior latte
- Tour the town differently with Fitz and Follwell
- Uncover unique designer finds at m0851
- Enjoy an incredible meal at Restaurant de l'ITHQ