Practical Information

You’ll find all the resources you need on this page. Bookmark this to find everything from how to mail a postcard to how much to tip. Consider this information central.

Congress - arm raised
Two montrealers working together (Photo: "Montréal-isme")


Accessibility for people with disabilities - Kéroul

514 252-3104 |

Establishments have been assessed accessible according to criteria set by Kéroul and approved by the Ministère du Tourisme du Québec. For people with a restricted physical disability, Kéroul provides information on tourism and culture.

The handicapped person can enter and move around the establishment without assistance.

The handicapped person requires assistance to enter and move around the establishment.

Tourist and Leisure Companion for persons living with a disability

1 833 693-2253 ꟾ

Some tourist and leisure activity sites give free access to the companion of a person living with a permanent disability.

Montréal-Trudeau Airport

Customs information

Personal identification 

Visitors entering Canada must present a valid passport and, in most cases, a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).* It is strongly recommended that you carry your passport with you at all times for identity purposes. Before entering Canada, all visitors are responsible for ensuring that they have the required documents necessary, whether they are travelling through to another country or returning to their country of origin.

For more information, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

*The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is mandatory for visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to Canada. While U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa are exempt, all those with passports from other countries (e.g. Mexico, France, UK) may need to obtain an eTA. You can apply here.

General information

Québec uses the metric system, so speeds are indicated in kilometres (100 km/h = 62 mph) and gas is sold in litres (3 3/4 litres = 1 US gallon).

Right turn

Although turning right on a red light is authorized across Québec (except at intersections where a sign indicates this is not permitted), rights on reds are strictly prohibited on the island of Montréal.

Cell Phone

Use of a hand-held cell phone that does not have a hands-free function is prohibited while driving.


There are many paid parking lots and automatic pay stations.

Electric vehicle

Electric charging stations are available at the following locations

Learn more

800 René-Lévesque Blvd. West
1 866 607-6301

There are also lots of postal outlets which are located within other businesses, like pharmacies. To find the closest postal outlets, please visite Canada Post website.

Consult the network map of free wifi public access areas.

If you wish to comment on or are dissatisfied with the tourism services you received in Québec, please contact: 

Alliance de l’industrie touristique du Québec

1 877 686-8358 |

Canadian currency is the Canadian dollar, which is divided into 100 cents. There are 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 dollar bills. Smaller coins are 5, 10, and 25 cent pieces as well as of 1 and 2 dollars. Banking and credit cards are also welcome almost everywhere.


There are two applicable taxes in Québec: a federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) of 5% and a Québec provincial tax (TVQ) of 9.975%. A 3.5% accommodation tax is also in effect in Montréal.


It is customary to tip restaurant waiters, taxi drivers and hairdressers 15% of the bill, before taxes. Bellhops, porters, doormen, etc. generally receive at least $2 per suitcase or per service rendered. Coffee and food counters often have a tip cup next to the cash register; spare change is always appreciated.

In case of emergency: 911

Info-Santé: 811

Québec Poison Control Centre: 1 800 463-5060

According to the law, you must be at least 21 years old to purchase or consume cannabis (be prepared to produce ID if asked). The legislation also includes other measures, such as the prohibition from consuming drugs (cannabis or any other drug) in a road vehicle, on an off-road vehicle or on a bicycle.

Learn more